November 15, 2023 — Shey-Harding has posted the following opportunity…
Area Associate Director, Labor Relations, Pacific Maritime Association
The Pacific Maritime Association (PMA) is a non-profit mutual benefit corporation that serves as a multi-employer collective bargaining agent for approximately 75 shipping lines, stevedore companies, and marine terminal operators at California, Oregon, and Washington ports. West Coast port operations (including non-containerized cargo such as bulk and autos) now support 9.2 million U.S. jobs and contribute 12.5 percent of the U.S. GDP.
PMA’s primary purpose is to negotiate and administer labor contracts with the International Longshore & Warehouse Union (ILWU) on behalf of the Association’s member companies, as well as administrating payroll and certain benefits. Our headquarters and administrative office are located in San Francisco, California, with area offices in Southern California (Long Beach and satellite offices in San Diego and Port Hueneme) and the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon and Seattle and Tacoma, Washington) in addition to Northern California (Oakland).
ABOUT THE ROLE
Under the general direction of the Area Managing Director, Northern California, the Area Associate Director oversees and coordinates the activities of the Northern California labor relations staff and is responsible for the research and the development of strategic approaches for the delivery and the administration of labor relations for the Northern California area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Researches and analyzes labor trends in the Northern California Area to set goals for the availability of labor and make recommendations to the Area Managing Director.
- Directs and assists in the development of labor allocation strategies; works with Coast Research Department to forecast labor requirements for the Northern California Area.
- Manages the Labor Relations staff with regards to work practices, union and management practices, and other contractual stipulations.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with union officials and member company representatives.
- Understands the organizations’ labor relations policy and its application within the authority at the Area Level.
- Leads the preparation of information for management’s use during negotiation, directing research activities for manpower analysis.
- Manages the collection of reference documents and statistical data concerning labor legislation, labor market conditions, prevailing union and management practices, wage surveys for labor contract negotiations.
- Analyzes collective bargaining agreements and applies terms of contract to claims and disputes between member companies and the union. Develops and maintains good working relationships with union officials and member company representatives.
- Represents management at grievance and arbitration proceedings.
- Promotes Contract Compliance implementation and interpretation.
- Manages the area office to ensure employee development and efficient operation within budget constraints.
- Ensures the preparation of statistical reports of types and frequency of actions taken concerning grievances, arbitrations, mediations, and related labor relations activities.
- Oversees adherence to terms of labor contract by monitoring day-to-day implementation of policies concerning wages, hours, and working conditions.
- Represents management in labor contract negotiations and provides information on provisions of current contract and significance of proposed changes.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
7-10 years direct labor relations experience including dispute resolution and mediation and minimum 3 years management experience are required. Maritime industry experience is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of bargaining, contract negotiations, and state and federal laws. They will have exceptional writing, analytical and interpersonal skills and have experience developing credibility with a wide range of stakeholders.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required; JD preferred.
Compensation: Salary Range:$168-252K annually (target $225K) plus car allowance, 10% bonus and excellent benefits.
The position is based in Oakland, CA conveniently located close to public transportation. PMA offers a flexible, fun, and professional work environment. This position will require some travel to meetings at outside worksites or PMA’s Oakland office. Hybrid schedules are allowed per business needs.
PMA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Complete job description available upon request.