June 10, 2021 – Port of Columbia County Commissioners voted unanimously on Wednesday to adopt the proposed 2021-2022 fiscal year budget and to set the Port’s annual property tax levy to a rate of zero for residents and industry within the Port district for 2021-2022.
“For the second year in a row, staff recommended, and the Budget Committee and Commission agreed, that with the economic hardships experienced by many this year due to the pandemic, it was the right decision to let that tax money stay with residents and businesses,” said Port Executive Director Doug Hayes. “We will review the levy again during next year’s budget process to determine if this is something we continue.”
“The Port maintains a good financial position, and we are expecting few tenant vacancies, if any, despite the ongoing economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Port Executive Finance Manager Robert Gadotti. “Most of our existing building and property leases are expected to continue.”
Additional highlights in the 2021-2022 Budget include:
- Beginning balance is forecast at $5.7 million, an increase of $485 thousand over last year.
- The Port has 45 commercial / industrial tenants and over 100 individual tenants at each the Scappoose Airport and Scappoose Bay Marina. Combined budgeted revenues for all tenant leases, permits and licenses total more than $4.3 million.
- Port Westward is the Port’s most profitable property site accounting for $2.375 million and 47.6% of the Port’s total revenue.
- Operating cost estimates continue to be held at 4%.
- An investment of $5.5 million in capital projects, including $2.4 million at McNulty Creek Industrial Park in St. Helens, where the Port is planning to construct two buildings totaling over 81,500 square feet in new industrial and commercial space.
- Over the past nine fiscal years, the Port has spent over $32.8 million in capital improvements throughout the Port district.
The Port’s Budget Committee consists of the Port Commissioners and an equal number of citizens who oversee and approve the annual budget. A copy of the 2021-2022 Budget is available at https://www.portofcolumbiacounty.org/finance/page/budget-audit-reports.