July 14, 2021 — The Port Alberni Port Authority (PAPA) is pleased to welcome Dr. Arne Elias to its Board of Directors. Dr. Elias was selected by the City of Port Alberni as its board representative following the recent expiration of Ken McRae’s term.
Dr. Elias is well-known locally as the Vice Chair of the Air Quality Society and President of the Marine Rescue Society. Furthermore, he has an impressive background in the marine, transportation and resource management sectors with a PhD and an MBA from the University of British Columbia. With a focus on sustainability, Dr. Elias has conducted a number of important studies and participated in numerous initiatives within these sectors including:
- Marine sector academic research for Port of Vancouver, the cruise industry and the Neptune undersea project
- Strategic advisor on sustainable energy for Blue Energy Canada tidal generation corporation
- Founding of Canada’s National Cycling Federation and initiated the current National Active Transportation Strategy
- Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games’ Transportation Demand Management (TDM) study and transportation action plan
- Produced many trucking studies, conferences, and technical and keynote talks, on the future of transportation
North American Super Corridor Coalition (NASCO) PAPA Chair of the Board of Directors, Shelley Chrest, welcomes the appointment of Dr. Elias: “his experience and skill set will benefit the Port, as we continue to work with the City of Port Alberni and other stakeholders to create a viable and sustainable economic future for the Alberni Valley.”
“On behalf of the Port Authority and the Board of Directors, I would also like to take the opportunity to acknowledge the outstanding commitment and contribution over the last nine years of Ron Crema, who has served as federal representative and Chair of the Port Authority, and Ken McRae, who served as the City Representative, and the Vice Chair of the Port Authority for the past nine years, also,” adds Ms. Chrest.