The industrial marine sector in British Columbia is broad and diverse with capacities and capabilities that are being noticed provincially, nationally, and around the globe. With this in mind, the Association of British Columbia Marine Industries (ABCMI) was created to further and represent the interests of the industrial marine sector and its supply chain. The ABCMI will work to strengthen the industrial marine sector of British Columbia. It will create a positive environment in which our industry can prosper and our people can grow.
The Association evolved from the West Coast Shipbuilding and Repair Forum which has existed since 2006 and brought the shipbuilding and ship repair industry in BC together and achieved positive outcomes for the industry including:
- The creation of Marine Fitter and Marine Electrician trades
- The conduct of a BC Workforce Table on Shipbuilding and Ship Repair
- Several detailed reports on labour market information and economic impact and opportunities
- A comprehensive Human Resources Strategy for the industry
- Community and aboriginal outreach strategies
- The creation of the Industrial Marine Training and Applied Research Centre (IMTARC)
- New curriculum required by the industry including entry level training
- Workforce Development: ABCMI will champion relationships and strategies which permanently enhance the development of stable, satisfying and desirable careers within British Columbia’s industrial marine sector in sufficient numbers to achieve the goals of the sector.
- Sector Strategy: Through dialogue with the Government of British Columbia, ABCMI will assist in the refinement and implementation of a sector strategy which enhances the capabilities and reach of British Columbia’s industrial marine sector.
- Supply Chain Development: ABCMI will assist the broadening of British Columbia’s marine supply chain, focusing on areas in which our sector can be internationally, nationally and locally competitive.
- Establishing Member Services: ABCMI will establish the services and benefits expected by members, and deliver the value that supports member’s continued participation in the Association.
201 – 2527 Beacon Avenue
Sidney, BC V8L 1Y1 Canada